29 November 2014

Uninspired

I've been feeling really uninspired and un-motivated lately. For the past few weeks it has been hard to keep up regular practice and updates to my process book.

I've been going through a bit of a hard time in general, and have been to the doctor's and student support unit for different reasons. I have not been able to focus all of my attention on my work at hand, and when i try to think about animation my mind often wanders. I have been feeling a bit hopeless and the workload is scary and overbearing. I just get worried that there is no way i will be able to accomplish what I want, and I have this huge, looming fear of failure that overshadows all the work I do.

I want to get myself out of this rut and start working regularly again, because I'm feeling guilty and quite behind on schedule. I thought rather than sitting down at a desk and having the same block as before, I should instead have a day out, visiting galleries in the city and gathering inspiration. That way, I would have a lot to think about; ideas to work off, images and artwork to use as a basis for my own.

I spent the whole day walking around town, visiting any galleries and fairs I passed along the way, speaking to the curators and artists and taking as many photos as I could. I saw some other interesting stuff in passing as well, like interesting posters and books in shops, graffiti in the streets, and cards and leaflets I picked up on the way.